We are not sponsoring a group dinner this year, so all lunches and dinners are "on your own".
Williamsburg offers a great selection of really good restaurants. If you head west towards Richmond on Richmond Road (Rt 60), you will pass a variety of restaurants in addition to the ones listed below. Deb and I haven't sampled all of them (we are working on that!), but below are some of our favorites.
NOTE: there are google map links to these locations embedded within the description.
- The Carrot Tree in Yorktown $ - Nice lunch spot in the Riverwalk section of Yorktown. Would be a good place to have lunch if you choose to ride to Yorktown one day. Menu can be found here.
Williamsburg Merchants Square area:
- The Cheese Shop $ - in Colonial Williamsburg. Located on Merchants Square in Colonial Williamsburg. If you like wine, visit their wine cellar. Great cheese, sandwiches and soup. Easy 1 mile bike ride or walk from the hotel. If the weather is nice you can sit outside and enjoy your meal.
- Dog Street Pub $$ - the main street of Colonial Williamsburg is Duke of Gloucester Street, referred to by the locals as "DOG Street". The Dog Street Pub is located on Duke of Gloucester at Merchant's Square, an easy 1 mile walk from the htel. The Pub has a typical "pub style" menu and a good selection of beers, including the local "Alewerks" beers.
- Aromas Coffee House & Cafe $ - located about a block from Merchants Square in Colonial Williamsburg on Prince George Street, this is a great place to grab lunch. They have a great variety of sandwiches, salads, soups and even dinner entrees. Also have a nice selection of specialty coffees, espressos, Mocha's, Latte's, etc. About a 1 mile walk or bike ride from the hotel.
- Charley's Cafe $ - at the Williamsburg airport. Enjoy a great soup and sandwich on their patio while watching the small airplanes come and go. Very reasonably priced and good! You will pass by Charley's if you take any of the "Lake Powell Rd" routes to or from Jamestown.
- Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Que $ - Not a great atmosphere (a bit like a fast-food), but excellent pork and chicken bar-b-que. Also not in a very good spot to bike to, but if you want to take a short drive for some great Bar-B-Que this is the place. Can eat-in or take out. Located along E. Rochambeau St.
- The Carrot Tree in Williamsburg $ - under the same ownership as the Carrot Tree in Yorktown with a similar menu. They have an excellent selection of soups, salads and sandwiches. You will pass very near to the Carrot Tree if you do the Williamsburg Winery ride.
- Williamsburg Community Chapel $ - The Williamsburg Chapel is a large community church located along John Tyler Highway, just off of the Virginia Capital Trail. They have a cafe that is open to the public with a good selection of sandwiches, salads and wraps available, making this a good option if you find yourself along the Trail at lunchtime. To get to the Chapel, take the spur off the Virginia Capital Trail at about mile marker 2, with the sign that points to Jamestown High School. At the end of the trail, go right on the road which fronts the High School and then left into the Chapel parking lot. Park near the Visitor's parking lot and go into the Door marked W1 for easy access to the cafe.
- Jamestown Settlement Cafe $ - Located within the Jamestown Settlement Museum so very convenient to our Jamestown start point. As shown on their website menu they have a selection of burgers, sandwiches, salads, stew, pork BBQ, pizza and vegetarian chili.
Charles City area:
- Cul's Courthouse Grilll $ - Cul's is a very casual lunch spot located across the street from the Charles City Courthouse, directly along the Virginia Capital Trail. It is a fairly small place, so they can't take a large crowd. But they have great sandwiches and salads and really cater to the Virginia Capital Trail crowd.
- Blue Heron Restaurant $ - The Blue Heron is located at the River's Rest Marina along the Chickahominy River. It isn't really in Charles City but is located along a popular bike route through Charles City county between the Chickahominy and Charles City. The food is good and the outdoor seating overlooking the Marina is a nice relaxed atmosphere.
- Food For Thought $$ -This has probably become our favorite "go to" restaurants. Very diverse menu with a great variety of hearty, reasonably priced meals. Ask about their 55+ menu for smaller portions. A 5-minute drive up Richmond Rd from the hotel.
- Sal's Restaurant By Victor $$ - the best Pizza in town but also with a very complete Italian menu and great wine selection. Also a short drive drive up Richmond Rd from the the hotel.
- Le Yaca $$$ - if you want a very memorable French dining experience this is the place to go. A little bit pricey but a very quiet and peaceful place with outstanding food and service. Again, easy 5-10 minute drive from the Clairon along Rt. 60 East.
- Berret's Seafood Restaurant $$$ - located in Colonial Williamsburg Merchants Square, Berret's probably has some of the best seafood in Williamsburg. This is definitely walk-able from the hotel (about a mile through the historic Colonial Williamsburg district.
- King's Arms Tavern $$$ - located in the heart of Colonial Williamsburg, the King's Arms Tavern offers southern fare in a rustic reproduction tavern. Easy walk from the hotel.
- Nawab Indian Cuisine $$ - Great authentic Indian food within a 5-10 minute drive from the hotel.
- Oceans & Ale $$ - Located near the Premium Outlets, Oceans & Ale is a great Seafood and Steakhouse restaurant. About a 10 minute drive from the hotel on Richmond Road.
- Opus 9 Steakhouse $$$$ - Located in Newtown, about a 10 minute drive from the hotel. This would be considered a "fine dining" restaurant featuring a variety of steaks and seafood.
- Plaza Azteca $ - This is a very good albeit chain Mexican restaurant. Located just off Richmond Rd about 5 minute drive from the hotel.
- Second Street Grill $$ - Excellent Bistro offering a wide variety of entrees including seafood, steaks, ribs, chicken dishes and pasta. Good food and we always have had great service there. Only about 1 mile from the hotel.
- Craft 31 $$ - This is a very casual restaurant offering a variety of craft beers, gourmet burgers, bottoms up pizza and a raw bar. Outdoor seating available. A 10 minute drive from the hotel.