It is time for the Fall 2016 HATS Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Counts! This effort is a very large undertaking and we could not do it without the help of volunteers like you. The data derived from these counts will be extremely valuable to HATS, municipalities, and anyone else interested in making walking and biking in the Capital Region safer and easier. The locations of the counts were determined as a cooperative effort between HATS planning staff, the HATS Bike/Ped Task Force, and other local stakeholders.
The Fall 2016 HATS Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Counts will take place during the following dates and times:
• Sunday, September 18, 12-2 p.m.
• Tuesday, September 20, 4-6 p.m.
• Wednesday, September 21, 4-6 p.m.
• Thursday, September 22, 4-6 p.m.
• Saturday, September 24, 12-2 p.m.
The counts are being done as part of the National Bicycle and Pedestrian Documentation project. For more information on NBPD in general, click here.
To perform the counts:
1. Print out the counting form (click here to download form) and bring other necessary items (pen/pencil, timer, etc).
2. Arrive at your designated location approximately 15 minutes before you are to begin counting.
3. Find a spot from which you can best view the entire intersection.
4. Count and record cyclists, pedestrians, and “others” (skateboarders, rollerbladers) as they enter the intersection on the form in 15 minute increments.
To view training slides on how to conduct bicycle and pedestrian counts, click here.
To view a list of the locations, with Google Maps links for each, click here.
Anyone interested in signing up should visit our SignUpGenius page by clicking here.
All the information referenced in this email is available on our HATS Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning webpage.
If anyone has any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at this email or at the phone number listed in the signature below.
**Feel free to share this email with anyone else you think might be interested in helping.**
Tri-County Regional Planning Commission
112 Market Street, 2nd Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17101
P: 717-234-2639 | F: 717-234-4058