As you may know, recently the HBC Operations Committee released a member survey in order to gather input to help us assess and improve our member communications. A total of 118 members completed the survey and we thank you for your input!
There were 11 questions which covered the HBC Website, the HBC Facebook Page and the President's Quick Reference Guide. The complete results of the survey can be found here.
The primary conclusion that can be drawn is that while in general, our communications are effective, we do have room for improvement. Overall, 72% of the respondents felt that their communciations needs were being met, either always or usually. Roughly 10% of the respondents specifically mentioned a desire to bring back a newsletter, at least in an electronic-only form. As you may know, historically it has been challenging to sustain a newsletter primarily due to a lack of people willing to assume the newsletter editor position.
Read more to see more specifics on the suggestions/comments and our plans.
Following are some specific suggestions/comments related to the website, along with our plan to address:
- Issue: Navigation problems. Seems quite a few people find things hard to find. The Submit Ride Report was brought up several times, but in general people are finding the menus frustrating to navigate. Plan: This is something we had recognized as in need of improvement earlier. We will soon be implementing a "ribbon" of icons on the website home page with direct links to the most commonly accessed pages.
- Issue: Board meeting minutes are not posted in a timely manner and are not easy to find on the website. Plan: We will be creating Board Meeting Minute Summaries which will be easier to read and can be posted within a couple weeks after the board meetings. A direct link to these meeting minutes will be provided through one of the "ribbon" icons mentioned above.
- Issue: Member Directory is difficult to use. Plan: We will add more sort and search features to the directory, and link it to a ribbon icon.
- Issue: A couple suggestions to make the Ride Logs more visible so members can see the logs posted by others. Plan: We will add a module on the front page showing recent ride logs. Members will have the option to exclude themselves if they desire.
- Issue: Suggestions to surface the upcoming Rides/Events on the home page. Plan: We will add modules on the front page showing upcoming HBC rides and events.
It is anticipated that these changes will be made over the next couple months.
Again, the HBC Operations Committee sincerely thanks you for your input!
HBC Operations Committee